The Office Bully菜鳥!叫你做就對了!
The Office Bully
Johnson! Have you got many assignments right now? 強森!你現在手上有很多工作嗎?
Um… Yeah, I have quite a few things I need to do. 呃…對,我有蠻多事要做的。
Well, you'll have to make room for another one. 這樣啊,你必須要做另一件事了。
I need you to do this sales report for me. 我需要你幫我做這份銷售報告。
Aren't sales reports your responsibility?
Don't use that tone of voice with me, Johnson. 不要用那種口氣跟我說話喔,強森。
You'll do this one because I'm telling you to do it. 因為我要你做,你就必須做。
I need it by Thursday.
Thursday?
But I have other work due by then. 可是在那之前我還有其他工作要完成耶。
I might miss a deadline…
This is more urgent, so do it first. 這件事比較急,所以先做。
You'll probably have to stay late to finish the rest. 你可能需要加班來完成其他工作,
That's what you get for working so slowly. 這都是因為你做事太慢才會這樣。
But…that's not fair!
Deal with it. 你自己想辦法。
If you can't finish all your work, that's not my problem. 如果你做不完自己的工作,那不是我的問題。
What if I tell the boss about this?
Go ahead.
I've worked here for longer than you, and the boss likes me. 我在公司工作的時間比你久,而且老闆喜歡我。
If you complain, he'll think you're not suitable for the job. 如果你去抱怨,他會覺得你不適任這份工作。
What's more, everyone will know you can't Politicians are responsible to the voters. 政治家應對選民負責。She is my child, and I am responsible for her. 她是我的孩子,我對她負責。. 還有阿,每個人就會知道你無法盡自己本分。
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. 如果你做不來,就別待了吧。
Mowing the lawn is my responsibility.
responsible for
Politicians are responsible to the voters. 政治家應對選民負責。
She is my child, and I am responsible for her. 她是我的孩子,我對她負責。
due到期的
The bank loan is due this month. 銀行貸款本月到期When is the assignment due?
meet a deadline
miss a deadline
an urgent message緊急訊息
work overtime 加班
pull your weight做好自己的份內事,做好本職工作
to work as hard as other people in a group
The others had complained that Sarah wasn't pulling her weight.其他人抱怨說莎拉工作不盡職。
If you can't stand/take the heat, get out of the kitchen.怕熱就別進廚房
I complained to my boss about all the work I've been given, but he just said "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."
我向我老關抱怨我被指派的工作,他只說:「不爽不要做。」
Standing up to a Workplace Bully如何對付職場惡霸?
Standing up to a Workplace Bully
Bullying isn't just a schoolyard problem. 霸凌不只是校園裡的問題,
In the office, people with power can be tempted to use it to make their lives easier. 在辦公室裡,有權勢的人常想透過霸凌來讓自己的職場生活輕鬆一點。
Unfortunately, this often makes other people's lives miserable. 不幸的是,這常常讓其他人的生活很難受。
Here are some ways you can deal with an office bully.
One obvious course of action is to talk to someone in a position of authority. 一個有效的做法就是跟有管理職權的人談談
This might be the bully's manager, or someone from the HR department. 這可能是惡霸的經理,或是人力資源部的同仁。
Report the problem with as many details of the bully's behavior as possible. 報告問題時盡可能地提供多一點霸凌者行為的細節。
In these situations, try not to get too emotional. 在這些情況下,試著不要過於情緒化。
You'll have more chance of getting support if you can show how the bully is damaging business. 如果你可以指出霸凌者對公司造成的傷害,你將有更多機會得到支持。
Sadly, bullies are often valuable to the company. 不幸地,惡霸對公司來說常常是有價值的。
You need to explain how what they're doing is affecting the bottom line. 你必須說明他們的所作所為如何造成公司虧損。
Another approach is to confront the bully. 另一個方法是直接面對霸凌者。
Again, try not to show your emotions, 同樣地,試著不要表現出自己的情緒,
as the bully may try to use this against you.
Let the bully know you won't play their game. 讓霸凌者知道你不玩他們這一套。
You should also take either of these approaches if you see one of your coworkers being bullied. 如果你看到同事被霸凌,你也應該利用以上這些方法
bully(n.)(v.)霸凌;惡霸
miserable(adj.)可憐的;難受的
unpleasant and causing unhappiness令人難受的,令人痛苦的
miserable weather令人難受的天氣
What a miserable existence! How could anyone live in such awful conditions?
多麼痛苦的生活!一個人怎麼能在這麼糟糕的條件下過活?
She's miserable living on her own.
她獨自生活,非常可憐。
tempt(v.)
to want something or to want to do something
想要(某物);想做(某事)
be tempted to do sth想要⋯
"Did you apply for that job?" "Well, I was very tempted, but I decided not to."
「你申請那份工作了嗎?」「唔,我是很想申請,但最後還是決定放棄了。」
I was sorely (= very) tempted to resign after my boss screamed at me for the second time.
老闆第二次對我大喊大叫了以後,我很想辭職。
course of action行動方針
What is the best course of action we can take? 我們採取什麼辦法最好?
Are we all agreed on the best course of action? 我們是否都一致同意這一最佳措施?
authority(n.)權力;管轄權
the moral or legal right or ability to control
The United Nations has used/exerted/exercised its authority to restore peace in the area.
聯合國行使其權力以恢復該地區的和平。
We need to get the support of someone in authority (= an important or high-ranking person).
我們需要得到一個有實權的人的支持。
They've been acting illegally and without authority (= permission) from the council.
他們的行動都是非法的,而且沒有得到市政委員會的授權。
I'll give my lawyers authority (= permission) to act on my behalf.
我將授權我的律師代表我處理。
He has no authority over (= ability to control) his students.
他在學生面前沒有威信。
She spoke with authority (= as if she was in control or had special knowledge).
她說話時一副權威的口吻。
Emotion
Emotional
Suffer from emotional problem
confront(v.)面對;對抗
